Where the Mountains of Mourne Sweep Down to the Sea
Looking north to the Mourne Mountains in County Down on a perfect summer evening, it’s difficult not to think of the popular song by Percy French:
- Oh, Mary, this London’s a wonderful sight,
- With people all working by day and by night.
- Sure they don’t sow potatoes, nor barley, nor wheat,
- But there’s gangs of them digging for gold in the street.
- At least when I asked them that’s what I was told,
- So I just took a hand at this digging for gold,
- But for all that I found there I might as well be
- Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea.